Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 8

Day 8 is special as its our first century ride. A century ride is a 100mile ride and we actually were doing a little more than 100. We enjoyed a crew chief breakfast and headed off. We were heading from Fallon to Austin.

In the desert you are fighting many things which makes cycling in a flat area painful. First would be dehydration and the second would be not eating enough. With a long ride you can't eat enough on the bike to restore the calories we burn riding. The third is mental fatigue. Nothing changes and there isn't much scenery to occupy the time. Talking is hard when the wind is hitting you at 20mph so you are stuck doing nothing by spinning along.

Sadly I was unable to finished, I was riding with Buae and Chris and at mile 86 I wasn't doing ton well with pain and I didn't want them to not make it so I ended up racking myself. It hurts but I can't let my teammates fail because of my inability. Sitting in the saddle gets extremely painful for me late on and nothing seems to help it. It just drains me so quickly.

We finished and stayed at a local church, to which after resting and showering at a local pool showers we headed to then park for a very special dinner from the Austin ladies. We arrived t the smell of something amazing and later we found out that they had a thanksgiving dinner for us and it was amazing. To thank them we sang the rose for them and then proceed to head back to lodging to rest from the long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment