Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 2

Today was day two of our journey and the team was excites to get out rolling. Yet we got ready late and it caused us to start off a little late. Not to mention i washed my cloths and the didn't dry all the way through. We had our normal crew cheif breakfast and stretched for a hilly day. I rode with a brother named Alex who has a lot of experience cycling.

Boy was the route amazing, until we hit mile long hills at a high income. Alex kept pushing me and encouraging me to push forward and not stop when I was really tired and annoyed at climbing what Dean calls hill passes. They seemed more like mountain passes as we saw many hills cut in half for the road. Very neat, however it does as a bit of danger to the trip at hand

Now I personally developed my cycling quite a bit due to Alex's help. I got the right seat height finally. Was able to learn how to ride 4 inches from the wheel of the person in front of me. He really pushed me to my max and it was really motivating.
After cycling something like 67 miles we got in our formation for an arrival at Sacramento, California. Our arrival was our first and I ended up getting half wheeled and falling down. Whoops. Yet many of the students from The South Side Art Center came to our arrival to see us. We headed to lodging and prepared for a visit to the center.

We arrived at the center and got a tour from one of the students. Their art was everywhere and if I had enough money I would have bought them all. Not to mention the pieces that are in galleries around Sacramento. After dinner the students sang and played many funky songs that really brought us back. It was truly mindblowing how amazing they sounded. I kept humming the songs in my head through the rest of the night it was so good. I was sad to leave, but alas it was time for the students to leave.

Before the visit I went to the bike shop for new gloves as mine had holes and some new tires. These tires have kevlar in them to stop the inner tube from getting punctured and giving me a flat. The team had its first community sleep over in a gym and had to get up extra early due to taking so much time to get ready. Tomorrow we hit Jackson ville, something our project manager has been hyping.

No comments:

Post a Comment