Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 3

So we road from Sacramento to Jacksonville today and it was really on the struggle bus. I had stayed up late trying to adjust my bike which also meant I woke up even earlier than needed to get ready form the ride. We actually had a sponsored lunch yesterday and breakfast today from the same lovely lady. She made these egg and bacon hand tarts which were so good!

We road out today and for some reason my saddle was really affecting me for the worst. I was tight and in so much pain. We went over how dangerous this road we were taking could be because of a narrow shoulder as well as many big rigs traveling on it. When a big rig comes by it can actually suck you in which could be Scary if there is someone behind them.

We only road 46 miles or so, it was also relatively flat. We had one huge hill at the end but we overcame it together as a team because by that point we were all close together in pace. We enjoyed lunch at a visit we rolled into and the feeling could not be explained.

I shook the hands of 100 people and they were happy to see the team and I. Yet the feeling was that I was happy to meet them and hang out with them. I met some real true characters and generally couldn't stop smiling. Apparently they had the best chili dogs ever but I skipped those. Real bummer. When we were leaving one guy did some of Elvis' moves as he was named Elvis and we all cheered him on. Afterwards he  hugged one of the team members and exclaimed that he loved him. It was such am experience.

As we were leaving we get warned when we turned left, be in our smallest gear. We were all worried and then came to a 18% grade hill. They name it hotdog hill as usually there are leftover hotdogs we take and bring back after the visit. I went slow but I didn't stop up the hill. After that we washed up and rested till we went to Mel's dinner.

The lion's club as been hosting our dinner and breakfast for our journey for many years now. All the men and their wives were very fun to talk and get to know. They know a lot and have done a lot in their time. They told us they do fundraisers all the time and one of them they sell bear in a small town. They sell 140 kegs in 4 days. That is insane! I can't wait to see what they have in store for breakfast for us.

So tomorrow is Kirkwood and it will be the hardest ride we have. 95 miles and 12000 feet of climbing. For some reason its getting hard to sit in my saddle so I'll see how tomorrow pans put.

No comments:

Post a Comment