Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day: 1


Today was the kickoff of our journey at the golden gate bridge. Many of my team member had family and friends come visit us and cheer us on. It was really cold in San Francisco. I think it was below 47 degrees and super foggy. It was so foggy that is was misting a little around us. After a special crew chief breakfast we needed north across the San Francisco Golden Great Bridge. It was actually kind of scary when it is wry and the wind is hitting you on your side.

It was last in the line due to volunteer end to be the sweeps or the guys who make sure everyone gets through. I had a brother Jeremy's volunteer to be my partner and boy we had a blast. We did end up taking a couple of wrong turns here and there but it was to be expected. We also spent quite a bit of time enjoying the beautiful land to Napa. We had a few cyclists end the day due to injuries. Yet on the bright side we all finished the route for the first time in 6 years. As the sweeps we really pushed our teammates to make is past the rack time and eventually to the lodging.

After our ride finished we headed to our friendship visit. It was a BBQ and a party to celebrate a couple of teams who play softball. I first went and spoken to a Johnathan and his mother and they were very interesting. He was a real huge sports fan and loved the giants. After eating I ended up playing volleyball with many of the softball players as well as other people attending the celebration. Boy I had a blasts and some of those softball players really now how to play other sports. They did some really amazing serves and spikes. All and all even though I was tired I had a ton of fun and would have liked to stay much longer. One person I met, who's name escapes me really enjoyed to trick us by tapping our shoulders and we would always blame each others. Another player was hysterical and called us the Journey of Whimps. He also considered children over the age of two to be old timers. Not sure what that made himself then. He also drives! Which scared me a little but he seemed to be a really safe and defensive driver.

All and all today was hard but we were excited to finish our first day and kick off. Tomorrow holds new and even greater challenges for me but I know that I will overcome them. Tomorrow we get up around the same time to do it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment